Psychosis is a syndrome, i.e. a group of symptoms that can be caused by different psychiatric disorders
What looks like odd behaviour is actually a breakdown:
- no control over mind
- loss of touch with reality
- normal thought process has shut down
- abnormal beliefs like people are trying to harm him, fear of people
- abnormal perceptions like seeing and hearing things that others around don’t
- Severe depression
- Some personality disorders
This is an emergency as he may hurt himself or others.
Necessary to go to a hospital for immediate sedation and investigation of the cause
2 thoughts on “Severe mental illness, or Psychosis”
This article needs a wide audience as it simplifies and demystifies a very complex and “taboo” topic. Knowledge is power, especially in the case of mental illness.
I agree. I’m hoping Aamir Khan will take it up on ‘Satyameve Jayate’ 🙂 Though, I must confess, I’ve only seen one episode, the one on Childhood Sexual Abuse, and that was quite good, despite the melodrama.