Sadness is something everyone goes through when something sad happens. But if you feel unhappy for no obvious reason, or react to something minor with a “bad mood” lasting for days, this is “depression”.
Depression is pathological, sadness is not.
What you may feel
- gloom, or sadness that seems to fill your entire being
- crying spells
- no interest in things you enjoyed earlier – everything seems “boring”
- no appetite or eating too much
- sleepless or sleeping too much
- tired and listless all day and achieving very little – slow because of poor attention
- guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
- hopelessness about things ever getting better
- you may even wish you could die
- detailed evaluation
- therapy, if appropriate
- antidepressant medications, if necessary